When you are shipping domestic or international packages, shipping charges are calculated on chargeable weight of shipment. Chargeable weight is the higher of the two; actual weight or dimensional weight. For example, if the scale reads 10 lbs. of your package but your dimensional weight is 15 lbs. then, you will be charged for 15 lbs. Your dimensional weight is higher than your actual weight in this case.
WHAT IS DIMENSIONAL WEIGHT?
Dimensional Weight is also known as volumetric weight; Dimensional weight is calculated by size/volume of your shipment. Dimensional weight is calculated differently for domestic shipment v/s international Shipment. The concept of dimensional weight has been adopted by the transportation industry worldwide as a uniform means of establishing a minimum charge for the cubic space a package occupies It is very important to know box dimensional (Length, Weight & Height) to ascertain accurate dimensional weight and shipping charge for your shipment.
TIPS ON SAVING ON DIMENSIONAL WEIGHT
- Use smallest box possible to ship your items.
- If possible, disassemble items to fit in smaller size box.
- If you have multiple piece shipment, try to share weight equally between boxes to avoid paying extra for dimensional weight box.
- If you have odd shape items ask the shipping company if they can make a custom box to fit your shipping needs.
- If you are shipping fluffy clothes try to seal them in air tight bags before packing in boxes.
Below is how dimensional weight is calculated for Domestic and international shipment.